Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Blog #9

Well, I guess I'm supposed to ask you what you could do for me in regards to my research paper. I think you've already done a lot for me, but I supposed if you want to help me even more I can find something for you to do :). First, are there any specific questions you think I should include in my interview of Tisha? I'm almost done composing the email, but it would be nice to have your input, as well. Second, do you think I have a good enough argument to work with? I'm worried that simply researching how to motivate online students, seeing who statistically takes online classes, and the argument regarding whether the success of online classes is the concern of teachers or not doesn't have enough impact to interest a reader and prove a strong point. If you think I have a good argument though, I will take your word for it. Other than that, I think I'm on a good path. :)

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a very good topic. Where you should be headed, though, is toward specific solutions and practices that could be implemented to improve online learning -- such as having self-selection or selection criteria as to who should take online classes to begin with (see my note to your last post). Your job ultimately is to make connections between what theories of motivation suggest and best practices that seem to work, so that you can explain why they work or how they motivate students.

    One question you could have is: "How and why do the best practices for online teaching motivate students?"

    Tisha will make a great interview. If you decide to interview her in person, bring a tape recorder. But email would certainly be easier for both of you and will save you the trouble of transcribing.

    I think you should ask Tisha if she has written on motivating online students or has some ideas in this area. And ask what practices she trains teachers to use in hybrid classes.

    You should also ask her about the online hybrid training for hybrid teachers and see if she would allow you access to it to see "behind the scenes" what teachers are told to do and how it might improve motivation. It is on Sakai and she could give you access if she chose.

    Ask her where teachers have sometimes gone wrong and done things that might not motivate students or might set them back.

    And ask her about "best practices" for motivating students. What do the best teachers do?

    Also, see if she can share data from her own study of students who failed -- what characteristics they had.

    This may all seem very simple to you, but I can assure you that there are many people -- including me -- very interested in what you find.... :-)

    ReplyDelete