Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Changing my topic! Online Classes and their disandvantages...

So when I'm in the middle of relaxing after a long day of classes, my television keeps advising me to enroll in online classes at online universities. These commercials tell me, "I'm not going to bed, I'm going to class! I can stay in my pajamas and learn at the same time! Yippee!!!" I can definitely see the reasons why someone would prefer to take classes online than go to class physically; its convenient, less expensive, and gives the student the power to work at his or her own pace. Truthfully, these factors are many of the reasons why college students HATE going to class! In this sense, online classes could definitely seem like the "grass is greener on the other side"...
To me, these benefits of online classes lead up to the exact reason why they're inferior to real colleges. Since these classes are so lax, it gives the student every opportunity to fall behind, give up, and drop out. Without the social interaction of student to teacher, students aren't as on top of their game. Classes take the backseat to other events, and because online classes are cheaper than standard college classes, dropping out is a more comfortable action to take.
Aside from the laziness that comes from taking online courses, I want to explore how online classes are inferior to standard classes based on the education that student is getting, test scores, and curriculum. I believe this could make a counter argument because although I don't know what the actual information states, there is every possibility that online classes and standard classes yield the same result. I haven't thought of a thesis yet, but I feel that after I look up some research, it will be easier to understand my topic enough to formulate an idea for a paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment